There are few things more disconcerting than having an episode of dizziness or vertigo and not knowing how to make it stop.
What is vestibular or dizziness treatment?Vestibular or dizziness treatment, often referred to as vestibular rehabilitation, addresses the three systems that help us keep our balance. These are the systems of the:
- Inner ear and its interactions with the brain to perceive movement
- Visual system and its ability to help orient us to our environment
- Touch or somatosensory system which is what we feel, most often in the surfaces under our feet
- We assess how these three systems interact with each patient. We can then focus your treatment on the area of weakness and teach your body to respond appropriately.
Who Can Benefit?At Evolve Physical Therapy we treat a variety of vestibular disorders and conditions to help restore your function and ability to perform daily activities.
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Meniere’s disease
- Acoustic neuroma
- Concussion / post-concussion syndrome
- Tension & stress headaches
- Mal de Debarquement Syndrome
- Unilateral & bilateral vestibular hypofunction
- Cerebellar degeneration & age-related multisensory deficits
Did you know….?
- Neck pain or tension can contribute to imbalance and dizziness
- 80% of Americans over age 65 have experienced dizziness
- As many as 35% of Americans over 40 have experienced some form of vestibular dysfunction