Having jaw pain (“click” or “clunk”) with biting, chewing and even sleeping can be a debilitating and frustrating condition. Properly treating this condition can offer relief!
What is TMJ or TMD Treatment?Temporomandibular joint disorder or dysfunction (TMD) affects the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). This is the joint that joins the jaw, or mandible, to the temporal bone of the skull. A detailed physical therapy assessment and successful treatment will focus on:
- Postural alignment of the neck, head and jaw
- Muscle imbalances in the mouth, neck, jaw and head
- Normalizing mechanics of the TMJ to move properly on each side throughout opening & closing of the mouth.
Who Can Benefit?When the TMJ does not function properly it can create pain and problems with:
- Opening the mouth to bite food
- Chewing and eating
- Neck movement & ear pain
Did You Know?
- The TMJ actually is made up of two joints on each side
- This disorder can present early or late in life
- Upper back and neck positions directly affect how the TMJ functions