Vertigo & BPPV Treatment
Vertigo can be a debilitating illness that can affect your everyday life. Evolve Physical Therapy can help you get ahead of your vertigo & BPPV symptoms through specialized BPPV treatment!
Vertigo & BPPV
Vertigo is the sudden feeling of off-balance, such as an internal or external spinning sensation and BPPV is the most common type of vertigo. Vertigo is often caused by an inner ear problem and can lead to spinning, imbalance, nausea, headache and hearing loss. BPPV treatment through physical therapy can drastically improve these symptoms.
Do you have dizziness or vertigo when you:
BPPV, (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo), is one of the most common, yet disturbing types of vertigo that one can experience. This condition happens when “canaliths” or calcium carbonate crystals break free inside the inner ear and disrupt the signal that is sent to the brain that signals that the head has moved. This condition creates symptoms that get worse with head movements since the crystals move in the canal instead of staying in place.
The name itself describes what actually happens when the crystals break free.
- Benign simply means that this is not a disease process and while disturbing is not a health threat.
- Paroxysmal means that these symptoms can suddenly occur and reoccur seemingly without warning.
- Positional means that these symptoms are brought on by movements of the head.
- Vertigo is the sense of you, or the world, spinning out of control.
Once the crystals stop moving in the canal, the incorrect signal to the brain is less intense and symptoms calm. But even without movement, there will often continue to be a sense of feeling “off” leading to a feeling of overall imbalance. Seeing a physical therapist for BPPV treatment can help improve, if not eliminate these symptoms.
Vertigo & BPPV Treatment
The correct BPPV treatment will not only remedy the intense vertigo but also restore the sense of being grounded and feeling secure. An evaluation will identify which of the six semicircular canals have a problem and which one of twelve different types of BPPV you may have.
- BPPV treatment happens by relocating the crystals to the sensory organs of the ears by placing your head in a sequence of positions. Once relocated, most people will immediately begin to feel better with the majority of symptoms resolving within 24-48 hours. If the condition has persisted for some time, additional exercises may be required to fully restore a sense of balance and control.
This condition can be especially problematic for the elderly whose balance reactions may already be compromised. This increases the risk for falls, which is a leading cause of death in the elderly.
No matter the age of patients with this condition, we prioritize scheduling for them! It is important to immediately reduce the fall risk and disturbing sensations this condition brings, and avoid further problems such as falls and central dizziness.
Request an Appointment
We’ll be in touch within 1 hour regarding your request.
What Kind of Vertigo or Dizziness Do I Have?
Click on our icons below to learn about different vestibular conditions! We will help get you back to the real you – stable, secure and feeling better to live your life.
A concussion is an injury to the brain after the head has been hit or shaken causing dizziness or imbalance. That’s Me!
Cervical dizziness can be caused by various neck problems that contribute to the sensation of feeling “cloudy” and imbalance. That’s Me!
Central dizziness is often described as feeling of imbalance or “unsteady in the head” with or without movement. That’s Me!